Tuesday, August 01, 2006

August Almanac

It is 1st of August, a new month.

It is the traditional day in the Pagan Calander when autumn starts, ending with Samhain on 31 October. Chrisitianity incorporated it into Lammas, a celebration of the beginning of the harvest and Our Lady. Another example of 'if you can't suppress it, fold it in".
In relation to this, it was the traditional month when my brothers and I would start planning our Hallowe'en costumes and plans, driven by the Seasonal stuff already up in the stores.

It is the birthday of my grandfather, whom I admired greatly. He liked a dry martini. It is a tradition of mine to make a dry one and toast/honor my ancestors on this day. My martini will have 2 olives. It is also the month for birthday of my friend Rick, who has lived in Japan for over 10 years.

I associate August with the colour 'sky blue', so later on when the laptop is more cooperative, I'll post the 'shirt of the month', my sky blue one. I am wearing it to work today - no doubt shocking the patients and scandalizing the APA. With luck, I'll be arrested/dragged off for not being up to professional standards.

The Tarot Card for the Month is the "Empress' which hints of prosperity and bounty and the start of something wonderful.

It is the traditional month for shrinks to go away on a month's holiday. They told their patients and analysands to somehow endure without them. No one does this anymore I suppose.

This month I go with Someone to Canada for a week's holiday - we'll do the annual trek to Stratford Ontario, to see the theatre. We'll also go to Niagra-on the Lake to attend the Shaw Festival. We've not been there since 9/11.

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

Your August sounds pretty full. My brother's birthday is on the 20th... that's all I got going on. LOL.

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home