Friday, July 14, 2006

I Make Shirts

I have a passion for making tropical holiday shirts.

Ever year in January I would go on holiday to Key West. A local KW woman made shirts – Hawaiian style, full of tropical patterns and loaded with colour. I love colour. I bought one every year I went down there.
Then, she retired from the business. I bemoaned I would no longer get shirts.
A couple of friends, who have a knack for clothes and sewing, said ‘well, make your own shirts”. I pointed out that the closest I ever got to sewing was closing sutures while in the ER rotation in residency. They pointed out that if junior high school girls can figure out a pattern, so could I. Some what out of spite (“I’ll show them!) and somewhat out of challenge, I gave it a try.
I have never touched a sewing machine, or seen a pattern. Turns out sewing has its own lingo; I started with that. I got out a simple men’s tropical shirt pattern, 2 ½ yards of a ‘trial’ fabric, and gave it a try.
The first shirt was rather crude and not very well made, but I was pleased with my effort.
That was a few years and 3 dozen shirts ago. I have improved by trial and error and practice. Most shirts I gave to my friends (one year, when we all gathered in Key West, they did me the honor of wearing these shirts). I have made a dozen or so for myself.
The photo above is one of my favorites. It is a navy blue shirt whose yoke is made from scraps of all my other shirts made up to that point. It is a sort of encyclopedia of my labors. Each bit of the yoke has a memory to it. From time to time I think I will post my creations
Here is "Jungle green".


5 Comments:

Blogger jnuts said...

I have sewn most of my life. I've never made hawaiian shirts choosing, instead, to favor vintage ones from the 40's and 50's. Once upon a time they were easily found in thrift stores for practically nothing. No more. Hunting down vintage fabric and making my own seems a viable solution. Thanks for the inspiration.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Spider said...

A multi-talented Renaissance man - I LOVE IT! Great shirts too!

3:04 PM  
Blogger rodger said...

Oh honey...you are sooo gay! I love it!

I've always wanted to sew and even bought a sewing machine. That was 15 years ago and I wanted to quilt. I made a pillow, put the machine in the closet and it hasn't seen the light of day since.

I should really pull it out...especially after seeing that jungle green shirt.

Nice work Michael, looking forward to seeing more.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Michael Guy said...

Okay. Does anyone else see the notorious VERSACE "JLo" gown cut to the cootchie she wore at some American Music Awards ceremony with this green tropical leaf pattern here? M'kay? I'm just saying...

12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel honored to be the owner of not one but TWO Ur-Spo originals. Fabric from one of them appears in the memory shirt- it's the purple butterfly in the bottom row.

I've seen Jungle Green modelled by the creator. He looks great in it though, as Michael Guy can confirm, Jungle Red is really more his color.

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home